Max Verstappen gained his second straight house Grand Prix and the fourth race in a row final week on the Dutch Grand Prix. That non-public report sees Verstappen match the twelfth longest streak in F1 historical past. However his win wasn’t assured, nor was the largest problem from Ferrari. Each Mercedes had wonderful race tempo and had been seeing terrific tire life after beginning on the Mediums. They seemed in rivalry for a potential 1-2 with their Onerous tires performing properly after a spherical of pit stops. As a substitute, a late warning noticed a model of Abu Dhabi 2021 once more — Verstappen proper behind Hamilton with recent mushy tires and a simple overtake for the win.
F1 now heads south to Monza and the Italian Grand Prix to wrap up the European schedule. The Dutch Military will likely be changed with the Tifosi, Ferrari’s passionate supporters. Can they provide up a problem to Verstappen’s dominance? Will the Mercedes staff be capable of sustain with the return of a observe dominated by lengthy, quick straights?
Because the final spherical, the Contract Recognition Board (CRB) dominated in favor of McLaren and Oscar Piastri. Plus, reviews that Mick Schumacher is leaving the Ferrari Driver program, and presumably his seat at Haas (who obtain engines from Ferrari). With open seats at Alpine, and presumably Alpha Tauri, Williams, and Haas the motive force market is in full swing.
The place Issues Stand
With Verstappen’s (310 factors) tenth win of the season, he now has a 109-point buffer over Charles Leclerc & Sergio Perez, each on 201. Whereas there are nonetheless over 500 factors at play within the the rest of the F1 season, the Purple Bull staff is displaying no indicators of weak spot. The battle between 2nd to fifth is just separated by 26 factors with George Russell at 188 and Carlos Sainz on 175 factors.
Within the Constructors’ Championship, Purple Bull Racing prolonged their hole over Ferrari with Perez touchdown his fourth straight top-five end. In the meantime, Mercedes proceed to achieve on Ferrari, now simply 30 factors again, regardless of Hamilton’s zero factors final weekend at Spa. Additional down the order Alpine preserve including distance over McLaren, now 24 factors, because the groups battle over drivers & large end-of-year monetary rewards.
Lengthy high-speed straights and tight corners spotlight the circuit at Monza. The structure is predicted to swing favorably again towards Purple Bull, not that they want it, in addition to Ferrari. The entrance stretch sees the second of two DRS zones heading into Flip 1, the spot the place Hamilton and Verstappen collided final season sending Max’s automobile crashing down on high of Lewis’. A memorable visible and testomony to the energy of the Halo machine. With drivers at full throttle for no less than 80% of the lap, it lives as much as the nickname the ‘Temple of Velocity’. With heavy braking zones and sizzling temperatures anticipated, look ahead to points with each tire put on and brakes towards the top of the Grand Prix.
How To Watch (all instances ET)
- Follow 1 – Friday 9/9 – 7:55 am – ESPNU/ESPN Deportes/WatchESPN
- Follow 2 – Friday 9/9 – 10:55 am – ESPN2/ESPN Deportes/WatchESPN
- Italian GP Preview Present: Friday 9/9 – 1:10 pm – ESPN3/WatchESPN
- Follow 3 – Saturday 9/10 – 6:55 am – ESPN2/ESPN Deportes/WatchESPN
- Qualifying – Saturday 9/10 – 9:55 am – ESPN Information/ESPN Deportes/WatchESPN
- Grand Prix Sunday (Pre-race Present) – Sunday 9/11 – 7:30 am – ESPN2/ESPN Deportes/WatchESPN
- Grand Prix Race – Sunday 9/11 – 8:55 am – ESPN2/ESPN Deportes/WatchESPN
DraftKings Sportsbook is providing odds on the race. As is normally the case as of late in F1, Max Verstappen is the clear favourite to win at Monza at -265. He’s adopted by Charles Leclerc (+650) who will likely be hoping the house assist for Ferrari will help spur on an unlikely win. And after a robust Dutch Grand Prix, the Mercedes teammates have the following greatest odds Lewis Hamilton (+800) and George Russell (+1100). There are a number of contenders with favorable odds to spring a high six spot – Lando Norris (+100), Estaban Ocon (+275) & Aston Martin teammates Sebastian Vettel & Lance Stroll (each at +1200). After final season’s Hamilton-Verstappen collision and shock Daniel Ricciardo win, something is feasible at Monza.
What to Watch For
- Ferrari returns house. When F1 was final in Italy for the Emilia Romagna Grand Prix in April there was nice expectation for Ferrari. Whereas qualifying and the Dash Race noticed optimistic outcomes, the Grand Prix was a catastrophe. Carlos Sainz was hit by Daniel Ricciardo on the opening final sending him into the gravel. Charles Leclerc in an try to make up misplaced positions was too aggressive and spun, ultimately ending eighth. It was the primary weekend dominated by Verstappen and Ferrari have solely gained twice since then (from 12 rounds). They return for the Italian Grand Prix after a sequence of strategic blunders and mechanical points hoping to complete the season robust and construct in the direction of a 2023 Championship problem.
- 5 in a row? With Max favored as soon as once more and on a observe that may go well with the Purple Bull, he’s set for an additional private report. If he wins at Monza that will likely be his fifth in a row, tying him for the sixth longest win streak in F1 historical past. A feat solely ever completed by Lewis Hamilton (twice), Michael Schumacher, Nigel Mansell, Jim Clark & Jack Brabham.
- Whereas Mercedes have frequently made progress because the season has continued on, it’s nonetheless largely track-specific. Their automobile does properly in high-speed corners resembling Silverstone or Zandvoort final weekend. And whereas Monza brings the pace, its lengthy straights have been a weak spot for the Silver Arrows. A win is most certainly unreachable for the staff, but when they will even match Ferrari this weekend it will likely be seen as one other step in the direction of discovering a spot amongst the title contenders.
- McLaren might have gained the Oscar Piastri battle, however on observe, Alpine has their quantity. And whereas Alpine’s automobile seems to be the higher of the 2 on race tempo, it’s additionally a two-on-one battle with Daniel Ricciardo struggling even when Lando Norris is up within the combine for fifth by eighth. Will McLaren be capable of discover any solutions this season to reclaim 4th place or will they shift their give attention to growing subsequent 12 months’s automobile in hopes of seeing a Norris-Piastri pairing carry them again up the order?
- Who steps ahead from the underside half of the Constructors Championship? With minimal factors obtainable eighth by tenth, anybody catching Alfa Romeo for sixth is unlikely. Although Williams, Aston Martin & Alpha Tauri are all in higher kind over the previous few races. Aston Martin have been coping with qualifying points however have scored factors in 10 of the previous 12 rounds. A staff that appears to be not off course, and with large funding, you see why Fernando Alonso was keen to leap ship with a assured two-year contract.